Vimeo Link: https://vimeo.com/160704081
I would definitely call this “failing fabulously,” as one of my professors would put it. This rig turned out to be quite monstrous after I added skin weight. While the rest of the process went relatively smoothly for me (minus the left arm not cooperating no matter what I did), the skinning was undoubtedly my biggest point of failure.
For the most part, I feel like setting up the skeleton was the easiest part of the project. The terminology and steps were easy to follow and execute without issue. I had some difficulty getting the left arm to work and orient properly, due to values being greater than zero when they shouldn’t be. Unfortunately, I could not figure out how to fix it without having to start the whole process over again. The most difficult part was undoubtedly painting the skin weights. While the different parts of the rig do bend, the movement does not look realistic. Also, the hair and eyes do not follow the bend of the controllers (I don’t know if this is an issue with skinning or something else). I had weird issues of vertex sticking out when they should not be. Again, I could not figure out how to fix the problem, which gives my rig a sloppy final appearance.
To fix the problems with the vertices sticking out in the skinning process, there is a hammer tool that will push them back into place. Make sure that you don’t have vertices selected that don’t match the area you want to influence. There should be multiple groups for each asset, namely geometry under its own group, joints under its own group, and controllers under their own group. All of these groups should be under one group to control them all.